As a Writer at Awesome Motive, you’re responsible for growing our organic traffic and converting website visitors into email subscribers and customers.
Interested? See "How to Apply" below to learn more before applying.
Please read all application instructions before applying.
To love this role, here’s the type of person you are:
- You have the ability to research and understand technical concepts, then explain them in simple terms to people who aren’t tech-savvy.
- You’re comfortable with accepting critical feedback without taking it personally.
- You’re a self-starter who loves taking initiative to solve problems and learn new skills, and are comfortable working with minimal direction.
- You take pride in the quality and craftsmanship of your work rather than just doing it to get it done.
- You're results-oriented and focused on the outcome of your writing, not just the words themselves.
- You’re an excellent communicator who makes sure nothing slips through the cracks.
- You’re passionate about leaving your mark on the web for all to see.
- You enjoy helping others on your team succeed.
Common responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Writing and self-editing blog posts that are engaging, actionable, error-free, and follow our style guide.
- Creating your own featured images and screenshots for each blog post.
- Making requested edits without expressing frustration or irritation with the editorial process.
- Conducting keyword research to identify target keywords and using those keywords to plan, structure, and optimize your content.
- Planning blog calendars in Asana and keeping ahead of schedule with minimal oversight.
- Monitoring SEO rankings and optimizing existing content to boost traffic and conversions.
- Working closely with developers and support team members to write new feature announcements.
- Writing email newsletters and automated campaigns and sending them using Drip.
Here are the skills and experience that will come in handy:
- Advanced WordPress.org Experience: You’re comfortable with writing and formatting posts and pages, setting up new self-hosted WordPress sites, installing and configuring themes and plugins, troubleshooting errors, etc.
- Writing and Editing: You can write a well-structured article with impeccable grammar and spelling in a conversational tone. You can edit and proofread your own work to eliminate careless errors instead of relying on an editor to fix them for you.
- Copywriting: You can understand your audience and use their own language to position products as solutions to their pain points. Your writing is persuasive and gets conversions, not just traffic.
- Image Editing: You can efficiently take screenshots; resize and crop images; add text, borders, or other elements; compress images; and upload and format them in WordPress so that they are clear, useful, and look good.
- SEO: You understand what SEO is and why it’s important. You know how to research keyword volume and search intent and how to effectively use keywords in your content without keyword stuffing. You have optimized and high-ranking content in your portfolio.
- Basic HTML: You can use the text editor in WordPress to add link attributes and do basic formatting of lists, subheadings, anchor links, etc. with HTML.
- Google Analytics: You know how to analyze the results of your content in Google Analytics.
- Time Management: You’re able to juggle multiple tasks and projects and prioritize your work effectively to meet all deadlines.
- Previous freelance or remote work experience.
What we offer:
Working for a fast-growing bootstrapped company is a rare opportunity, one we consider a lifestyle choice rather than a job choice. Our positions are challenging, but also come with amazing advantages and fulfillment to those who earn them. Here’s what we offer.
- Competitive Salary.
- Health, Dental and Vision insurance benefits for full-time U.S. employees.
- Work from your home. We’re spread out all over the world – the United States, Canada, Ukraine, India, Pakistan, Singapore and more.
- Unlimited PTO after 90 days of employment. We encourage employees to take the time they need for vacation, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- Paid maternity and paternity leave.
- We happily provide or reimburse software you’ll need as well as books or courses that promote continued learning.
- We give you the opportunity to solve challenging and meaningful problems that make a difference.
- Custom branded laptop at your five year anniversary.
- We cover all costs of company travel (including our annual all-company retreat and mini-team meetups).
- Ability to work with some of the best people in the business through frequent, if not daily, interactions.
- And in case you were wondering: no politics, no b.s., and no jerks.
This is a remote position - our team is spread around the globe! Our home base is in Florida, USA, so company operating hours are 9am - 5pm ET (UTC -5). While full coverage is not a requirement, you must be available during a portion of the day.
-Personal Computer with Internet Access
-Availability to participate in audio/video meetings between the hours 9 am - 5 pm EST.
At Awesome Motive, we strive to have the broadest possible view of diversity, going beyond visible differences to include the background, experiences, skills, and perspectives that make each person unique. Awesome Motive is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
How to apply?
If all of this sounds interesting, then please submit your application!
Please clearly include the following in your cover letter:
- How you found out about this position.
- 3 specific links to your most relevant portfolio pieces. (Submitted samples must be in English.)
- What piece of content that you've created has gotten the BEST results? What were those results?
- An overview of your experience with self-hosted WordPress.org software (not WordPress.com) and our products.
Also note, please don't forget to proofread before submitting. Check spelling, capitalization, etc. This is your chance to make your application stand out :)
We won’t be able to individually respond to all applications, but if we feel you’re a strong match, someone will be in touch shortly. Qualified candidates may be asked to complete a test assignment.
Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you!