As a Senior WordPress Developer at Awesome Motive, you’ll join the WPForms team where you will collaborate with awesome team members and tackle a wide range of responsibilities.
WPForms is the most popular WordPress form builder plugin with over 4+ million users. So your work will have a big impact!
We are looking for an experienced backend developer that is already actively involved with WordPress plugin development. You'll help design new features, write/rewrite code, and tackle complex challenges at scale. You will also regularly conduct code reviews and mentor your peers.
Additionally, this is a leadership position where you will earn the opportunity to lead release cycles and manage a small team of developers. You need to be passionate about - and have first-hand experience with - some degree of project management.
💡 Interested in applying?
🔍 Please read/follow the next steps outlined in "How to Apply" at the bottom of this listing.
Attention to detail is one of our core values! This is your chance to stand out :)
To love this role, here’s the type of person you are:
- You’re a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through from conception to completion. Our developers "own" features/tasks and are responsible for scoping, development, and testing.
- You're an excellent communicator, fluent in both verbal and written English, who makes sure nothing slips through the cracks. We believe communication is critical and there is no such thing as over-communicating.
- You take pride in the quality and craftsmanship of your work rather than just doing it to get it done - with attention to detail.
- You love mentoring your peers and helping them "level up" just as much as writing code.
- You are comfortable giving critical feedback to peers (in a respectful and productive manner) and also don't take feedback given personally.
- You're happy jumping between front-end and back-end development tasks or tackling tasks that require both.
- You're happy working on tasks of all sizes - from small bug fixes and enhancements to large features/rewrites.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Triaging bugs and enhancements that come into GitHub.
- Scoping, writing, and testing new product features and addons.
- Communicating with the team and supporting your peers using chat, audio, and video.
- Supervising other developers; providing feedback, giving peer reviews (PRs), and managing deadlines.
- Managing sprints and product releases.
Skills you'll need to succeed in this role:
- People and project management experience.
- Professional experience with WordPress plugin development, architecture, and standards (WordPress theme experience is great, but alone is not sufficient).
- Advanced proficiency with PHP and MySQL, including modern PHP practices (OOP, autoloading, namespacing, traits, interfaces, etc).
- Strong familiarity with JavasScript (vanilla JS, jQuery, ES6, etc).
- Deep experience with build tools like gulp and webpack and package managers such as Composer and NPM.
- Experience working with third-party APIs (Eg Stripe, Drip, Zapier, etc).
- The ability to iterate and ship ideas quickly - done is better than perfect.
- Ability to keep complex ideas and features simple. (Simplicity is a core value!)
- Previous remote work experience.
What we offer
Working for a fast-growing bootstrapped company is a rare opportunity, one we consider a lifestyle choice rather than a job choice. Our positions are challenging, but also come with amazing advantages and fulfillment to those who earn them. Here’s what we offer.
- Competitive Salary.
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance benefits for full-time U.S. employees.
- Work from your home. We’re spread out all over the world – United States, Canada, Ukraine, India, Pakistan, Singapore and more.
- Unlimited PTO after 90 days of employment. We encourage employees to take the time they need for vacation, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- Paid maternity and paternity leave.
- We happily provide or reimburse software you’ll need as well as books or courses that promote continued learning.
- We give you the opportunity to solve challenging and meaningful problems that make a difference.
- Custom Branded laptop at your five year anniversary.
- We cover all costs of company travel (including our annual all-company retreat and mini-team meetups).
- Ability to work with some of the best people in the business through frequent, if not daily, interactions.
- And in case you were wondering: no politics, no b.s., and no jerks.
Want to find out even more about Awesome Motive? Be sure to take a look at our About and Contributions pages for details on how Awesome Motive has continued to evolve in order to best help small businesses grow and compete with the big guys, and how we strive to give back. And for an even deeper dive, you can check out more about WPForms.
Location and Hours
This is a remote position - our team is spread around the globe!
Our home base is in Florida, USA, so company operating hours are 9am - 5pm ET (UTC -5). While full coverage is not a requirement, you must be available during a majority portion of the day.
- Personal Computer with internet access.
- Availability to participate in audio/video meetings at any time needed during work hours.
At Awesome Motive, we strive to have the broadest possible view of diversity, going beyond visible differences to include the background, experiences, skills, and perspectives that make each person unique. Awesome Motive is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
How to apply?
If all of this sounds interesting, then please submit your application!
Please clearly include the following in your cover letter (required):
- Your experience with WordPress plugin development.
- What is your favorite WordPress hook/function and why.
- Your management experience - tell us about how many people you have managed/mentored, projects you have managed, etc.
- Tell us a bit about yourself and why you should be considered. Details about your experience, qualifications, personality, etc are very helpful.
- Profile links with code samples (GitHub, GitLab, WordPress.org, etc).
- Other profile links if available (Your website, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc).
Note that stock/generic cover letters won't do - tell us why you want this job, not just any job.
Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you!